The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

Canada Terror trial: Prosecutor lays out timeline as trial of young couple begins

19:52  13 september  2017
19:52  13 september  2017 Source:   montrealgazette.com

Travis Vader back in court to face bail charges

  Travis Vader back in court to face bail charges A trial for Travis Vader on allegations made against him when he was released on bail while on trial for the McCann deaths is expected to begin Tuesday.A man convicted of killing two senior citizens was “yelling and swearing” when he was arrested for allegedly violating his bail conditions in the midst of a double-murder trial, court heard Tuesday.

The trial of two young Montrealers who are alleged to have made plans to leave Canada to join ISIL while also preparing to build a bomb began Federal prosecutor Lyne Décarie did not mince words in her opening statement to the jury. She said the young couple — Sabrine Djermane, 21, and El Mahdi

Terror trial : Fed prosecutor has blocked many young women from being on jury in #terrortrial of Djermane and Jamali. http This timeline is where you’ll spend most of your time , getting instant updates about what matters to you. Tweets not working for you?

021617-el_mahdi_Jamali.jpg-0217_city_djermane-W.jpg:   © Facebook  

The trial of two young Montrealers who are alleged to have made plans to leave Canada to join ISIL while also preparing to build a bomb began Wednesday morning at the Montreal courthouse. 

Federal prosecutor Lyne Décarie did not mince words in her opening statement to the jury that will hear the trial. From the beginning she said the young couple, Sabrine Djermane and El Mahdi Jamali, both students at CEGEP De Maisonneuve at the time of their arrests, were preparing to join the terrorist group in Syria and had booked tickets on a flight set to depart on May 1, 2015. 

Décarie told the jury that the key to the case is a timeline that began on April 10, 2015, when someone called the RCMP and said something that prompted the Mounties to investigate the pair. 

Corporal who allegedly forced trainees to eat until sick faces military trial in St. John's

  Corporal who allegedly forced trainees to eat until sick faces military trial in St. John's A court martial is underway in St. John's for a member of the Canadian Armed Forces who is facing two charges of ill-treating a person who by reason of rank was insubordinate to him. The court martial, or military trial, is happening at the Department of National Defence building in St. John's.Young allegedly forced one trainee to eat vegetables until he vomited, and forced another to drink water until she became sick.Both incidents happened on Aug. 10, 2015, and all of the witnesses that appeared Monday morning were in their teens at the time that the incident allegedly occurred.

Superior Court Justice Marc David then told the jury to be ready for the next step in the trial that began in mid-September. ‘They answered that call’: Prosecutor lays out timeline as couple ’s terror trial starts.

‘They answered that call’: Prosecutor lays out timeline as couple ’s terror trial starts. NEWS OPINION SPORTS BUSINESS ARTS LIFE CAREERSOBITS SIGN OUTSUBSCRIBEADVERTISE Terror trial : Potential jurors asked about impartiality toward Muslim suspects.

Investigators met with Djermane’s friends and relatives immediately before meeting with her. 

They then met with Jamali. By April 14, 2015, the RCMP had enough information to arrest both and to execute search warrants at a condo the couple was renting on Aird St. and at a residence where Jamali lived with his parents. 

While executing those search warrants, the RCMP found a handwritten recipe for a bomb. The writing matched that of one of the accused and was “word for word” a copy of a recipe that had been published in a propaganda magazine published by the al-Qaida terrorist group. The RCMP also found some of the ingredients for the bomb. 

Décarie said the last witness to be called in the 10-week trial will be an expert on jihad. 

Décarie advised the jury that because of the many witnesses involved in the trial, the narrative of the timeline will jump back and forth often. She said it will be like a film that uses the same narrative tricks. 

“At the end of the film we understand what happened. The same will happen here,” she said. 

Before Décarie delivered the opening statement, the accused pleaded not guilty to the four charges they face.

pcherry@postmedia.com

Canada's high court to hear appeal in charges against Surrey Six investigators .
OTTAWA — Canada’s highest court has agreed to hear an appeal from the special prosecutor assigned to handle cases tied to the so-called Surrey Six murders in Surrey. OTTAWA — Canada’s highest court has agreed to hear an appeal from the special prosecutor assigned to handle cases tied to the so-called Surrey Six murders in Surrey.

Source: http://ca.pressfrom.com/news/canada/-44784-terror-trial-prosecutor-lays-out-timeline-as-trial-of-young-couple-begins/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!